A blog about movies and the Sturbridge area, including The Brookfields, Brimfield, Charlton, Holland, Wales, and Spencer as well as adjacent towns.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Why do people want to make movies?

Josh on one of the groups at OurFilmSpace.com asked a question,

I was just curious why everyone wants to pursue film making and do you remember what sparked the curiosity of this art?

I left this comment,

I'm only guessing. I stand behind nothing I say. It's just off the top of my head. I'm not addressing why I have an interest in particular, but why people might in general.

There are a lot of aspects of culture that only some people experience. some people are foodies, while others just eat to live rather than living to eat. Some people like rap, others rock. Still others love classical. Believe it or not, I've met people who don't like any music at all. When I was a kid, I was crazy about baseball, now I can't sit through a game while others are lost if the Sox aren't playing.

Yet, no matter what we don't share, we all go to movies.

The point is we all have different interests, but there is almost no one in this country that does not have some movie that did not effect them in some way. Some are so taken by some movie that they see it over and over again. Some are even challenged by movies that it might change their world view.

Movies are, in our culture, the art form that nearly everyone partakes of. More people are going to want to be part of it than any other form.

For an analogy, as an art form, Opera was dominant in 19th Century Italy. Do you think there would be so many Italian composers, librettists, tenors etc. If it were something else?

No comments: