A blog about movies and the Sturbridge area, including The Brookfields, Brimfield, Charlton, Holland, Wales, and Spencer as well as adjacent towns.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Yankee Spirits' Sturbridge Fall Wine Festival

This guy didn't look too happy even though his table had a nice malbec a pleasant montepulciano on offer

Yesterday, I attended the Yankee Spirits Fall Wine Festival at their store in Sturbridge. This was a good time. There were 200 wines to sample of which, due to taste and the discretion that comes with age, I only sampled a few.

I first experienced this event about ten years ago. I was just going into the store for a small purchase when I was asked if I was there for the wine tasting. In one of the few great decisions of my life, I said yes. It is a very good time and a chance to buy at a discount. I like it so much, I covered it for the Sturbridge Times Magazine. Click here and go to the link at the lower left for September 2007.

The most interesting comment was from a women who has a place in New Hampshire and said that the Yankee Spirits' pricing is better than the state liquor stores in the Granite State. The recession is hitting Massachusetts hard and Yankee, like most such establishments was not helped by the tax hike. Still, it shows what a company can do even in a less than optimum time. Being at the confluence of the Pike and Route 84 does not hurt. We have a natural advantage here with a great location.

No comments: