A blog about movies and the Sturbridge area, including The Brookfields, Brimfield, Charlton, Holland, Wales, and Spencer as well as adjacent towns.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

I know there something missing this morning. Oh yeah, The Amherst Farmers Market!


Above: A warm summer day at the market


For about a month and a half now, I've been getting up on Saturday mornings to travel up to Amherst Farmers' Market to sell honey and eggs and anything else the garden had produced. I've been doing this for about 20 years now and can't stop. I yield to no one in my dislike of early rising, but the Amherst market is worth it.

I wouldn't be so upset if today's weather were a howling snow storm (but we never have one of those this time of year). Unfortunately, today will be beautiful and warm, perfectly Indian Summerish. Ah but last Saturday was the last week.

The Amherst FM is like a festival. Okay, you may not be able to get everything there, but there is a lot. Vegetables are in colorful profusion, but there are crafts (see video below) as well. There is my breakfast, a jalapeƱo ciabatta (don't laugh) and then a pesto roll from the two bakeries selling.

Where there is also a hole in my day is across the street. Once set up, I go over to Amherst Coffee and get a large extra caffeine to go. Now the coffee we have during the week is not terrible, but it is not in Amherst Coffee's league. Man does not live by bread alone, because there is coffee.

Market Manager, Sarah Berquist, has been there a few hours already before I get there. We have had many good managers since I've been going there and she is in that Stalwart mode, unfailingly so.

Fortunately, winter will not last forever. Already, I've received some seed catalogues. Time to start planning.



Not only does everyone at the market love Justamere Tree Farm. They were featured in Martha Stewart Living Magazine.

No comments: